Corrosion inhibitors are everywhere, and without them, many engines, vehicles, buildings, workplaces and homes would stop working.
1. Vehicle fluids such as brake fluids and coolants need to have corrosion protectors so that they don’t corrode the pipes and components that they work in conjunction with. Without the addition of these inhibitors, the brakes and cooling systems won’t work properly and could cause the brakes to fail or the vehicle to overheat.
2. Vehicle and engines have many moving parts and thousands of components that need protecting from the Rust Inhibitor elements and each other. Without corrosion inhibitors in the oil, the oil would damage the parts it is designed to protect.
3. Fuels need to have anti-corrosion properties added to them so that they can lubricate the engine but don’t damage the engine, and cause rust. Petrol and diesel additives can provide addition protection, as well as other benefits.
4. Lubricants used in domestic and industrial environments are designed to prevent wear and tear of components, as well as to ensure the efficient operation. Garden tools and factory machinery need to be kept lubricated so that the metal parts don’t cause friction which can lead to premature wear and failure. Household lubricants designed to loosen seized nuts and bolts, to stop doors from squeaking, and for cleaning and maintaining tools often have to be used on metal components. Without corrosion inhibitors, these parts can rust, which means that the lubricant doesn’t do its job properly.
5. The storage tanks used for storing fuel, at depots or refineries will need to be coated with corrosion inhibitors, so that the metal doesn’t go rusty, and compromise the storage facility. A leaking refinery would be very dangerous indeed.
6. Pipes designed to carry liquids or gases, need to be protected from the liquid or gas they transport. These pipes need to last a long time, as any downtime could result in shortages of fuel, water or gas.
7. Corrosion inhibitors are used in building products too. Think about the buildings and structures that are exposed to the elements. Without protection, bridges, oil rigs and buildings could be at risk of rust from the weather.
8. Paints have corrosion inhibitors added to them, so that the metal being painted isn’t going to rust. Without protection, buildings, vehicles and other structures would be at risk.